Thursday, January 21, 2010

The buzzer finally sounded

Yes, the buzzer finally sounded and dad left this game for good. He died peacefully in his sleep this morning when Tim and I were in the hallway outside his room. He was determined to go when we none of his children were there and he outsmarted us again.

MJ and Jonathan and family will be receiving guests at home on Sunday January 24th from 12-4 followed by a private service on Sunday night. Their address is 1130 North Negley Ave. Pittsburgh

The funeral will be at Our Lady of Victory Church located at 820 Westerly Parkway State College on Friday January 29th at 11:00 am. A lunch reception will follow at the church and all are welcome to attend. The phone number of the church is 814-237-7832. Dad will be buried in Blairsville on Saturday January 30th at 1:00 (specifics to follow). We recommend the Ramada Inn located at 1450 South Atherton St. State College 814-238-3001

In lieu of flowers, we ask that you make a donation to Forbes Hospice in memory of Joseph Tocci. The address is 115 South Neville Street,Pittsburgh, Pa. 15213. They took extraordinary care of all of us

As much as we love your cards, we encourage you to contribute your comments to the blog- it's our archive of dad's life and we love to hear all about how you know him and remember him. We invite your stories and thoughts.

More to come.....

1 comment:

  1. (I'll try to keep with the metaphor) So sorry to hear the whistle blow on Uncle Joe's game, but I guess the game can't go on forever.

    I don't have nearly enough memories of Uncle Joe, but those I have are all so good. When I was drafted onto this crazy, exciting, wonderful, loving team almost 45 years ago, I didn't know what to expect. Often, when you come from a different team, the new team can be cold, distant and unaccepting. Not the David/Asper/Tocci/Gray team. From the first time I visited Aunt Delores and Uncle Joe in Connecticut I felt like a starter -- no bench time, no reserves. Uncle Joe and the rest of the family put me right on the court. And for that, I will always be thankful.

    Like I said, I didn't get to spend as much time with Uncle Joe as I wanted, but I don't remember being around him when he didn't have a smile on his face. I'm sure, like everyone, he had his down moments. But, every time I saw him, he seemed the happiest guy in the world. What a way to live!

    ReplyDelete